Executive and Leadership Coach | Workshop Facilitator | Thought Partner and Trusted Advisor
Way back in 1999 I started my first proper job with a large IT consulting company. I was only there for nine months, but I learned three very important lessons during that time:
1. People leave bosses not organizations. That was certainly true for me. I was blissfully happy under one boss, and left soon after getting a new one.
2. Culture is hard to shift. My job was to align the culture of recently acquired companies with that of the acquiring organization. Every day was a struggle.
3. There is so much pain in organizations. As one of the very few people to have access to the raw data from the annual employee engagement survey, I saw how much pain and suffering there was at all levels of the organization. And this was a very successful, publicly traded company.
In my youthful idealism, I figured, “There has to be a better way.”
So began a journey that I have now been on for almost 20 years – and expect to be on for at least another 20.
That journey has included multiple consulting contracts with international organizations, graduate studies in philosophy and psychology, training in coaching, psychotherapy and Zen, and more lessons from the school of hard knocks than I care to mention.
Over the course of that journey I’ve discovered three things every leader needs to know:
1. The leadership journey is never ending. Leadership is a solution to a problem, and problems wait for no one.
2. Leadership is grown through relationship, not through having, doing, being or knowing.
3. There is no more important work in the world today than the work of leaders – except, perhaps, for the work of those who develop them!
If you are looking to improve people, process and profits, with an innovative approach to leadership development that is creative, structured, powerful and proven, then please get in touch.
See for yourself how I can reduce pain and suffering in your organization and add value to you and the people you lead.